Kenneth E. Carlton
107 Tamiami Trl ∙ West Lafayette ∙ IN ∙ 765-416-3142 ∙ email@example.com
Sample photos of my work at: NewConceptzDesign.com
BSME, Mechanical Engineer with expertise in planetary gearing, transmissions, winches, electronic component packaging, rotating equipment, axles. Expert with 3D CAD (SolidWorks) and FEA. Spanish speaker (advanced). Computer programming.
|∙ Mech./Design Engineer
∙ Project Management
∙ SolidWorks/3D CAD
∙ BOM Management
|∙ Powertrain design
∙ Rotating machinery
∙ Agriculture machinery
∙ Mining machinery
∙ Railroad machinery
∙ Manufacturing machinery
∙ Casting design
∙ Weldment design
MTI Welding, Inc., South Bend, IN
Manufacturer of large manufacturing equipment used by the Aerospace and Automotive industries
Mechanical Engineer, 2016
- Designed a chuck fixture resistant to 90 tons; used on a 30 foot long machine that manufactures parts for the aerospace and automotive industry. The fixtured was designed with SolidWorks and verified with FEA.
- Next generation guard system that surrounded the 30 foot machine. A sliding panel system allowed greater accessibility for machine maintenance. Designed with SolidWorks, this involved: assembly/subassemblies, BOMs, design of sheet metal panels/doors (SolidWorks sheet metal addon), electic motor driven doors, door track roller system and rails, door sensors, frame design, internal lighting. FEA verified.
- Designed a cable track system allowing electrical cables/hydraulic hoses to move alongside and feed moving components. SolidWorks sheet metal addon to design trays to which the tracks, cables, and hoses were mounted.
Oerlikon Fairfield, Lafayette, IN
OEM Manufacturer of transmissions and gear drives for agriculture, oil, and mining industries
Sr. Design Engineer, 1996-2015
- Powertrain transmission for Chinese railroad vehicle: I traveled to China representing Fairfield for I transmission I designed. As a result of mutual trust achieved, Fairfield obtained a new and profitable product line that continues today.
- For John Deere: When presented with the challenge of designing highly compact, high power density planetary gearbox, I rose to the challenge. The product is now mass produced and sold to Deere and other companies.
- Shipyard crane: I traveled to and worked with a company in Ireland. I designed a gear mechanism for them involving a differential that allowed the craned to be more easily maneuvered by ship yard workers.
- Offshore drilling rig jack up drive: I did the design proposal for a 6.5 foot tall gearbox for the oil field. As a result, Oerlikon Fairfield was awarded a multimillion dollar contract. Nine of these gearboxes are used to raise an oil drilling rig off the ocean floor in order to stabilize the rig for drilling.
- Electric driven bull dozer: I worked with a team of engineers to develop an electric driven bull dozer (wheel loader). This involved designing sheet metal parts, plastic parts, and working with electrical components and circuit boards. (example #5 on my webpage newconceptzdesign.com)
- Shipping vessel hoist: I designed a large, 7 foot tall gear reduction unit noted for high reliability. Aiding in reliability: no lubrication pump (a failure mode). This caused a problem: bearings need lube. I solved this dilemma by designing a unique oil channeling mechanism to deliver lube oil to troubled areas.
- I used SolidWorks for the design and assembly of 3D CAD parts for the machines above. I used FEA for evaluating components; used in-house software for design & stress evaluation of gears and bearings; designed casting and welded structures; worked with BOMs; worked with cross-functional teams (vendors, customers, sales, etc.). See an example of the internal structure of one of these machines at http://newconceptzdesign.com/#3)
Prior to 1996
Braden Winch, Tulsa, OK; Borg Warner, Muncie, IN
BSME degree, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX.
Winner of Ernest Holdrege Award (an award for excellence at Lamary Univ.)
Problem solving: I am adept at deriving design solutions for unique problems in a cost effective manner. I have the ability to work with customers and vendors, with manufacturing, marketing, purchasing, and sales to achieve design goals.